What does love mean to you?
Hmmmm! Love oh love. I often tell people that love is an action word and you can not really tell if you are in love unless after your love has been tried and tested.
What does love mean to you? For reference purpose, lets take the dictionary meaning of love before we go on , the dictionary defines love as a profound, tender, passionate affection for another person. A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection as for a parent, child, or friend. A sexual passion or desire . Interesting definition isnt it? Sadly you can feel all of these towards another person and not be in love with them. Strange you must say! But it is the sad truth, most times people confuse love for lust because they both share same characteristics or features . Now lets go easy taking it one step at a time.
Types of love are:
- Agape kind of love which is considered the God kind of love. This is the type of love among brethren, siblings or among family members, it has no atom of sexual passion, desire or lust in it.
- Eros kind of love is the romantic kind of love commonly found among couples or sexual partners
- Philia kind of love is similar to agape kind of love with slight difference. It occurs between family or friends and it usually initiated as a result of having common interest and values.
- Storge is the kind of love i will like to refer to lust or infatuation because it is not real, it is only based on lies in the sense that it does not confront itself with the sad reality or ugly truth about the other partner. It is a short term kind of love that is not built on a solid foundation of what true love stands for
I know your tempted to ask what true love stands for or how can you you be so sure it is not storge you are feeling but love? Here:
- Love is patient. It does not want it now now, it can wait for ages and not be bordered. Just like the saying, nothing good comes easy or a mansion is not built in a day, so is love for it is willing to wait for as long as possible.
- Love is kind. Kindness is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate to other people. You can not truly say you are in love until you are willing to take another different person from a different background, race or religion as your own and treat them as you would treat your own. Love is being generous, i laugh when i hear people are stingy hahahahahaha! well the truth is no love without giving, you are in ;love when you can easily and willing give to another person without expecting a pay back or any form of gratitude from them. You are ion love when you are able to put yourself in someone else shoe, showing concern for others as if it were yours.
- Love is not self seeking. You can proudly say you are in love when you are selfless towards another. No selfish person can ever love whole heartedly never! you are in love when you are willing to sacrifice your happiness for another, treating them as you would treat yourself or even better than you would treat yourself.
- Love is not boastful or proud. It is so sad when people hide their true identity from their partner in the name of measuring up to social standard. Know this and know peace, if you would in or at any point lie about your true identity from your partner or your significant other then that is not love. You can truly say you are in love when you do not let your social status stand in the way of happiness of your partner or make them feel intimidated by your status or achievements.
- Love does not envy, Envy simply means to be angry over the happiness or well being of another. It is not love if you feel angry or pain over the happiness, growth and achievement of the pother person, you are in love when you rejoice at the well being of others or your partner for love is not some sort of competition.
- Love is not easily angered. You are not in love if you easily find fault in others, for love covers multitude of sin.
- Love is does not keep record of wrongs. You are not in love if you have to keep counts of how many times others hurt you, love is when you forgive others and not use it against them or keep record of it.
In conclusion, love is everything and the greatest human desire is to love and be loved.